Monday, July 11, 2005

THE WORK AND THE GLORY -- by naudy


Typically I avoid "LDS movies" because I think they're gonna treat me the same way Utah drivers do. Because I'm supposed to be kind and forgiving, they can do whatever they like and if I disaprove it's because I'm a total lack-of-charity case. THE WORK AND THE GLORY is no exeption. This film unashamedly merges from the on-ramp to the highway of your eyes going a plodding 5mph and expects you to like it.

Why did I rent it? Why would I put myself through this? Well... I don't know. I guess I wanted to see if it was as bad as KING ARTHUR, or GLITTER, or even THE BOOK OF MORMON MOVIE. Fortunately it wasn't that bad. I entertained myself for a long time by watching the Denise Richards look-alike morph through period fashion like an SCA parade. I was particullarly impressed by her very even dark tan and the amazing red highlights hairdressers could install in the 1818. When I tired of that, I noticed the plot but it didn't hold my interest for long. When you've seen one Older-Belligerant-Brother-Smoulders-With-Resentment vs. Younger-Sensitive-Low-Testeosterone-Bookish-Brother you've seen 'em all so you know that the girl always goes for the wimpy guy since he's the one not growing a beard.

There was also a lot of Joseph and Hyrum and Emma Smith, and an attack on Joseph in the woods. Which was fine. At least their clothing and hairstyles were in keeping with the times. What really makes this film so irritating is the post-modern philosophys they put in the lead character's mouths. The words "tolerance" and "bigotry" and "freedom" were used a lot and for some reason all the parents in this film were actually shamed when accused of bigotry. I felt it was unfair. I know if my kids took up with what I considered to be a Satanic cult, I'd probalby have quite a bit to say as well.

Anyway, it's over. I'm happy I helped to support the salaries of the Utah Jazz (since no one is actually buying tickets.) I'v changed lanes and moved on, leaving this movie behind like a broken-down handcart and, in my heart, I'v almost forgiven them.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm so excited that I'll never have to rent this movie. I too, have the torturous handicap of a small S&M streak that makes me sit thru horrible movies; a prime example would be THE BOOK OF MORMON MOVIE. (did you notice S&M and THE BOOK OF MORMON MOVIE are in the same sentence? Yep. I bet you've never seen that before.)

    ReplyDelete