Sunday, July 10, 2005

THE HIGHLANDER -- by Jacobus Scriptor


The Highlander

I recently saw this movie for my second time. The first time I was a freshman living in the dorms and I remember overall liking it but noticing a handful of things that kind of bugged me. This time I think I remember those things and should like to basically list the things I liked and disliked about the movie.


I remember being previously annoyed by the sword fighting on a few different levels. Having now been trained somewhat in the use of swords I think I found it more annoying. The first problem was the sound effects. The clashing sounded more like cars being wrecked or someone clapping anvils together. The second annoying thing was stupid combat maneuvering. One of the perfect examples of this was when Sean Connery’s character was fighting Victor in the little Highland castle and Ramirez flashily swings four or five times at Victor’s stationary sword. It was like he didn’t even have to move to block. Sean could have tried to hit his opponent, but he just kept slapping a lethargic blade. Ugh. The ridiculous and useless form training on rocky pinnacles also annoyed me. Okay enough about that. The other annoying thing about the sword fights was the smashing of rock walls, chopping iron and cement pilings, etc. I think that stuff was supposed to be the product of the immortals superhuman strength they get from the Quickening and the energy they suck out of the other immortals they kill. But it wasn’t made explicit and I was left with the impression that it was just the passage of a natural sword fight.


The next thing that was annoying about this show was McCleod and his little modern ‘80s love life. The sex scene was fine for all I know. Don’t get me wrong. I was just annoyed by how they got there. First it’s the creepy stalking thing. Then she’s all really interested in his fantastic and rare "sword." Then it was "Oh, you’re an immortal? Lets have sex!" manifestation of affection. So all I have to do is let any woman stab me with a knife and not die. Then rather than be surprised, confused, and say, "What the ______?" she’ll just jump on my bones. Sounds like a plan.


One thing I really like about this movie and always have is the imagery of getting power by being struck by lightning. There’s something natural about that concept for me. I also like that when the Victor was finally killed at the end they used the yet cheesy graphic effects to imply a sort of transcendental experience where McCleod is connected to the whole world and even spiritual worlds beyond.


The concept of the immortals is a pretty cool one and I like the way they interact. I liked he way Victor taunted the priest in the church with his mashed potato obscenity. I would say Victor over-all was a likable character with a sword that should have broken in his first fight. But who’s counting?


The last thing I liked about the movie was the super hyped-up and toplessly dramatic music by Queen. Because of course Freddy Mercury is going to sing about being invincible.

No comments:

Post a Comment