Friday, October 07, 2005

"Stargate SG1" -- by Brooklyn



STARGATE SG1

As a avid scifi lover I have come to a terrible and too real idea: for every good-makes-me-want-to-pee-my-pants-from-its-brilliance-show, there are five oh-gawd-make-it-stop-so-I-can-sleep-with-my-eyes-closed shows. After the loss of Farscape and Angel and the subsequent crying and knashing of teeth, I was trying oh so desperately to find something to fill in the void. I decided to try out Stargate SG1. It had been on for several seasons so it couldn't all be bad, right? I had caught a couple of episodes in syndication late at night (never drink a liter of Pepsi and expect there to be no side effects, though on a good note the voices do eventually stop). I had not been particularly impressed, until one particular episode. As in all things it only took one basic element for me to get caught in the show - hot guy where nakedness was involved. So now I have seen just about every episode (Netflix is awesome!)

So I started to watch. Overall it's an adequate show. The writing is not amazing, but there are spurts of interesting dialogue. The plots tend to be Star Trekish, but its enough to keep me watching. Well, ok, I'll be honest its all about Dr. Daniel Jackson .............................................................

Sorry I was reliving that naked Dr. Jackson on the ground episode again. Let me list why he is my ideal man (its not a review from me unless there is a list):

  • - He is breathtakingly gorgous
  • - He starts talking and unlike the other characters on the show, keeps me wanting more or panting like a dog ....or both.....on a good day
  • - He is brilliant and there be nuttin' better than dem smarty pants
  • - He has a dry witty sense of humor - just how I like 'em
  • - He was married once, but she died and still he loves the memory of her (yes I have a romantic side, feel the shock and awe)

I know that the main star 'till this recent season was all about MacGyver and I really did enjoy his character, except he was a little too ronin and too irreverent for me to believe that he was a high ranking military officer. The girl on the show is just cute as a button!!! She is a scientist, a military officer and a former host for an alien life form. Is there anything she can't do?! And to complete our ensemble, we must have an alien. So why not get a former college football player who has little to no acting experience, and to cover this lack, we make his character a mix between a warrior and a Vulcan. Brilliant! Honestly, he has gotten better in his acting as the show has progressed, but I think he is a better writer than actor because the episodes he has written I have always enjoyed, while his acting is give or take.


And now the big question: Would I recommend Stargate SG1 for viewing? To the average ho-hum scifi watcher sure. It doesn't require much of its viewer and the special effects tend to be pretty good. For the hardcore I'm-to-cinical-to-appreciate-anything-that's-not-star trek-or-star wars scifi person absolutely (see recommendation for ho-hum watchers). If you do not fall under those two catagories, just go and stick your head back in the hole it came out of and remember the good ole' days that only exsist in the memories of Conservative Repulicans (thanks Ned Flanders!)