Thursday, October 20, 2005

DUDE, WHERE'S THE PARTY? -- by naudy (gets a 6)


I wish I could tell everyone to see this movie but I can't. I laughed myself sick but a lot of the jokes aren't funny unless you've seen more Hindi films than are really good for you. The movie is about a guy named Hari (see picture) who leaves India to live with family in Houston, TX. One of the best moments is when Hari and his cousin are leaving to go to school in the morning. His aunt comes up and puts American flag stickers on them and tucks little flags in their bookbags. His cousin tells his mom that people aren't that stuipd and will know that they aren't terrorists. His mom just tells Hari to tell everyone he was born in the U.S.

I laughed so hard I had to rewind it and make my roomate watch it. What was better was Hari and his cousin had little flags and flag pins on them for the rest of the movie. Constant source of amusement, particullarly when the Indian guys who ran the local conveniance store had flags everywhere, too.

Of course there's a moral dilemma, what with all the Desi kids (Desi= Western Asian born/raised in the U.S.) wanting to ignore/be rude to the "F.O.B." (Fresh Off the Boat) kids. And, of course it's solved properly but not before our boy Hari learns to use deodorant ("It makes me feel fresh and clean like I'v never felt before! Plus, the ladies love it!") and gets the mandatory hot-Indian-guy makeover (black shirt w/ open collar, white suit.)

Anyway, I loved it. You might not. [see "Beginning Bollywood"] If you liked/could stand HUM DIL DE CHUKE SANAM you'll laugh at this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment