Saturday, February 04, 2012

REAL STEEL -- 5

I am not a disinterested observer most of the time.   The most notorious example of this is when I went to the dollar theater to see DRUMLINE with my friends.  I was so involved with the movie I shushed the friends who were openly mocking the movie beside me.  They, in turn, began to mock me as well, which is only natural since we were A) at the dollar show B) watching DRUMLINE.

I bring it up to say that REAL STEEL has some good action sequences which I totally got into in spite of the logical inconsistencies.  This movie is a Steven Spielberg-produced joint about crappy absentee dads (a standard Uncle Morty theme) in a world where boxing robots are easier to hack than Ipods and perfectly useful robots are thrown into junkyards with amazingly poor security.  You know, because no one would ever use a giant robot to do anything bad with.   Naw, in this world, it's much more satisfying to physically punch people in the face with your own fists, 11-year-old boys can walk un-accosted into terrifying underworld locations without fear, and if you just ask your robot to stand up, he will.  Also, a good boxer will beat a computer program every time, even if he can't win a street fight.

So either Texas in the future is a really nice crime-free, sunshine-filled place, or the Texas Rangers have the deadliest robots on the planet which they use to control a militarized Utopian society, providing professional boxing matches to the repressed population as entertainment by providing a cathartic release of the terror they live with on a daily basis.

Since we are talking about Texas, I think the most likely answer is "Both."  ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment