Saturday, January 21, 2012

MONEYBALL -- 7

It occurs to me that most of the movies I see get a 6 or 7 rating.  Since this is statistically unlikely this means all the films I manage to view are of a consistent quality or I just like movies.  But, it probably only means I'm too lazy to really figure out a different score for them.

MONEYBALL, however, totally deserved a 7.  It was really interesting.  They managed to make a book about statistics into a movie about a guy who has never lived up to his potential and what happens when he stops following everyone else.

I really related to Pitt's character because I myself tend to freeze up under pressure.  I have blown more auditions and competitions than I like to remember, and even something as basic as a drivers test at the DMV had to be failed multiple times before I stopped caring enough to relax and just do the right thing.  In the end Billy Beane chose to do the right thing for his team by facing the truth the numbers offered, and did the best thing for him personally with his family.

Truth is truth, and right is right, and often truth and right don't look anything like what one expects them to.  MONEYBALL doesn't say that but just charges ahead and shows you what it looks like to be a success, even when one is a failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment