Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Bill Cunningham New York - 10

I watched this film twice because I found it so interesting.  BILL CUNNINGHAM NEW YORK is a documentary exploring the life work of Mr Bill Cunningham, the man who unknowingly and essentially invented street style.  Since the 70's Mr Cunningham has photo-documented fashion shows, society charity events and fashion trends on the streets of NYC.  He lives with the asceticism of a monk, loves everyone, has an encyclopedic knowledge of fashion, and smiles all day long because he loves his work.







He is my new hero.

82 yrs old is enough years on this earth to know if your fashion is worth photographing


Also, Iris Apfel is in this movie.  IRIS APFEL!!!   I adore her.  When I saw the Rara Avis exhibit in Salem, MA my head almost exploded with sheer joy.   I took as many illegal photos of that exhibit as I could before the docent came over and threatened me.  The woman wears bangles covered in googly-eyes.  I LOVE her!
She buys her stuffed animals jewels so they don't bite her

Anyway, Bill.   He is fantastic and inspiring. He makes me want to find my joy and dedicate my life to it.   After seeing his tiny apartment stuffed with file cabinets full of photos taken over the past 40 years, I know Bill will be to fashion history what Gregor Mendel was to genetics.

For more about this film, just watch it on Netflix.  For the weekly update on NYC street fashion, go to this link to hear from the master himself.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/playlist/style/on-the-street/1247463985977/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment