Friday, March 09, 2012

BYU Honors List: 42nd STREET

A few weeks ago I attended an LDS Multi-Regional Singles Conference.  While there I took several classes but one class, taught by a Todd L. Goodsell, bothered me.  In the class he offhandedly mentioned several books he had read which were from the BYU Honors List.  I had never heard of these books.  Since I do not consider myself to be an uneducated person this ignorance of classic books was completely unacceptable.  My sister Caroline, who attended the same conference and the same class walked up to me afterwards and said “I really need to get a copy of the BYU Honors List.  That dude was naming books I have never heard of.”
That night I found the BYU Honors List and to my delight it not only has books but music, plays, and MOVIES!   So, now you know what you are in for.  This entry begins a series of reviews (hopefully) for films from the BYU Honors List 


Everyone hates everyone, so it's totally realistic.
42nd STREET

This movie is one of those “let’s put on a show!” musicals with Berkley doing the Zigfield-esque choreography.  It was nominated for an Academy Award.  It is set (and filmed) during the Depression so there is a little more emotion invested in the show’s success or failure.  There is the traditional clueless financial backer who insists on his favorite girl being cast in the lead, the driven and uncompromising director, and a lot of dance numbers.






Why is it on the BYU Honors List?

"Even when I'm playing drunk I'm a better actress than you"


After watching this, Caroline pointed out that there are a lot of Zigfield chorus girl movies which are a lot better.  And she is right.  However, most of those don’t show the hours and hours of backstage shenanigans and snark that happens during the rehearsal process.  It cheered me immensely to see that theater people are really the same today as they were then.  We always think of folks from earlier times being more pure or refined or unspoiled compared to current standards.  Theater people, in this film, are EXACTLY the same.  The movie is based on a book which actually has the junior lead male having a relationship with the director.  However, in 1933 they decided against showing a gay relationship on screen so the WORSTACTRESS EVER became the young guy’s love interest.  Seriously, she was so bad she almost ruined the entire movie.





What I liked best:


Ginger Rodgers.  She’s in it playing the bit part of “Anytime Annie” and she is MEAN!   I really liked her.

"Anytime Annie only said 'No' once and then she didn't hear the question..."


No comments:

Post a Comment