Sunday, July 24, 2011

Captain America: a Rebuttal -- by my sister Caroline

Ok, I'd like to defend my "That was really good" statement as Natalie so nicely pointed out and mocked.

Yes, she has a point in that this movie is TOTALLY ridiculous  in the  "it's big, it's small, it's big again!" consistency  aspect.


Besides the magical pants (they turned into tight & short capri's on the buff guy), towards the end our military looked like they were all dressed in Desert Storm white and tan camo. (Weird, since the rest of the movie,it looked like everything was green, or brown?   Did we run out of regular camo or what?)  But other than that,  the costuming was good; well, maybe not good as in award winning, but it was pretty. For the majority of the time, it seemed to flow with the 40s theme.

Speaking of 40s themed movies, remember Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?  That movie sucked.  This one didn't

I've seen my share of pooptastic movies. Just off the top of my head, some of the poopiest movies:   The Book of Mormon Movie Part I (Sister Rose the head costumer, fresh off a church gym roadshow, apparently had personal issues against irons and/or ironing, or anything not on the Walmart dollar fabric bin, or found at garage sales, or stolen from the camping gear closet.  I could almost see the gluestick glue holding crap together.)

Then there's everyone's fav to hate: Glitter, (if you haven't seen this,  it's a must, to establish a baseline of badness) and more recently, Bridesmaids. (Tirade on this to follow shortly)   In comparison to these and other pooperific shows, Captain America "was really good".  It was fun. It was campy.  It was superhero movie and since I have never, nor will ever care to read the comic, I'm ok with any departures they may or may not have taken from the source material. I didn't hate myself for watching it. I knew going in that it's not Masterpece Theater.  It is a popcorn movie.  Of course it was cheesy.  Of course I have to suspend belief. Isn't that why we go to the movies in the first place, to suspend belief?   Didn't we do that in Transformers 1&2, and tell ourselves Megan Fox could act? (Running, screaming, mouth breathing, flipping the hair, bending over with her bum towards the camera... wow, I think I know what her audition tape was like.)  (Oops. Did I just say that out loud?) And won't we do it again for Transformers 3?  Summer movies are not about reality, they are about an escape from reality and by that measure Captain America WAS "really good."

No comments:

Post a Comment