Thursday, June 16, 2011

Susan's Netflix Queue #1

Right.  So, Netflix is a big place.  And, yes, when Netflix says you will hate something, it is usually right.  However, what about the stuff you don't know you hate?  How do you find the things you don't even know exist?

Well, you could ask me about trash I watch.  Then just tell Netflix you hate all of it.  Problem solved! So, for educational purposes and the betterment of mankind,  I am going to review what's on my "Recently Watched" Netflix list.  The normal 1 to 10 rating won't work for this so I'm going to create a new system.  It will sometimes work like this:

Wholesomeness rating:
(This is extra Mormon 'cause I think I'm funny.)

 Celestial  (if Jesus stops by yall just have to hit the "mute" button)



Terrestrial (not evil but don't let the preschoolers repeat everything they hear)



Telestial (not even slightly good for you)



And then there's the Approval Rating category.  Basically either "I Liked It", or "I Didn't Like It".  That's all I can promise to be consistent with.  Let's get started.

Yo Gabba Gabba!

I LIKED IT

Ostensibly I am watching this show for "research" purposes.  Watching it will help me connect with my students and give us something to talk about.  What actually happens is I start humming songs from the show and all of my 2-year-olds scream "NO! MY Gabba Gabba!" because they're two and everything is "mine."  So... not really research but I like it anyway.  =)

Craig Ferguson: Does This Need To Be Said?

I LIKED IT

Not for folks allergic to bad language.  Also not for people who dislike meandering conversational comedy, punk rock, Scottish people, silly dances, and Craig Ferguson.  However, I don't have a problem with any of these things and really enjoyed it.

Starz Inside: Ladies or Gentlemen

I LIKED IT


I'm fairly confident that this is a safe documentary for persons of all ages to watch.  Well, assuming you want your kids to learn about drag through the ages and drag queens specifically.  So maybe not so safe.  It's well done, about an hour long, and is narrated by Ru Paul. 


Seven Chances

I DIDN'T LIKE IT

I do like Buster Keaton but this one had a slow start and I didn't have the attention span.  Netflix tells me I only watched 5 min of a 56 min movie.  I can't make myself go back.  However, I did watch all of The General, Steamboat Bill, Jr. , and College with Buster Keaton.  I liked all of those.  I just couldn't get into this one.  If anyone has seen it tell me how it ends.


Monty Python's Flying Circus

I LIKE IT

I set a goal to watch every episode of MPFC and, per standard operating procedure, I have failed to complete that goal.  I don't feel bad about this decision because as the seasons go on you can see them going for the cheap joke and the naked organist and whatever else they can come up with because they are tired and BBC still wants them to churn out material.  If you don't go much past season 2 you should be fine.  My favorite bit is still the song about a llama and that little gem can be found in episode 9.

On The Double

I LIKED IT

So the first movie star I really liked was Danny Kaye.  And by "really liked" I mean I was a ten year old checking biographies out of the library like I was researching red-headed Jewish performers in the 1940's.  I have grown up a little bit since then so I know that Danny Kaye isn't the ultimate in movie stars but I'm still fond of him.  This is one of his very very late films so his act is pretty tired but I enjoyed it anyway.  Generally speaking I hate The Inspector General because it is way too much like an "I Love Lucy" episode for my taste but everyone else seems to like it.  If you can find a copy of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, do it because that my friends is some awesome Danny Kaye but White Christmas is good too.  Neither of those movies is on Netflix though...

Sherlock: Series 1: A Study In Pink

I LOVED IT

BBC reboot of the Sherlock idea set in current day London.  There are only 3 episodes and when the third one ends I was screaming for more.  Super super good series.  Allegedly the BBC will begin to air the next series in August of this year but who knows when it will show up on Netflix.  Whenever it is, it won't be soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment