Sunday, January 08, 2006

Harold and Maude


I knew that this was a favorite of Maddy's and others have recommended

it so I finally sort of broke down and saw the thing. The assumption I make about a movie with a title of two names, one male and the other female is that it is some kind of romance love-story chick-flick. Though this movie had its love story it was not the sort of sappy melodrama I expected. The romantic aspect of it was more creepy than anything because the age difference between Harold and Maude was somewhere between 60 and 65 years. I agree with the priest in the film in being appalled at the notion of "mingling flesh with the wrinkled skin, sagging breasts, and flabby buttox." The eighty-year-old Maude makes an interresting game of corrupting the young Harold by introducing him to all kinds of human vice in the name of trying out new things and experiencing life. Was this thing made in the 60s? Not sure. Normally, I'm all about corrupting the young out of a sense of fun but Maude takes it to a point I might talk about but never actually do.

Otherwise the movie is pretty funny, particularly Harold's interactions with his mother and the girls she tries to set him up with. Out of 10 I give it a round 7.8312 stars. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. H&M is probably my favorite film. It was made in 1971 and couldn't have a more bittersweet soundtrack. "Trouble, oh, trouble set me free..."

    For me, it was simply about a young man obsessed with death and stagnation who meets an older woman in love with life and living. I never viewed Maude as 'predatory,' although that's an interesting point of view.

    I wish I could discuss the film with you further, if only to offer you my perspective, but there are too many thoughts for this little comment box. Another time, I suppose.

    "Oh, Harold. That's wonderful...go and love some more."

    ReplyDelete