Sunday, May 19, 2013

THE GREAT GATSBY - (5)


So, I really like Baz Luhrman's films.  I really wanted to love this one.  It was beautiful and thoughtful and the costuming was marvelous and the sunshine was everywhere and the set design was fantastic and the actors were all excellent and the CGI worked.

However, I didn't love this film.  It was poignant.  It made me think.  It was lovely to look at.  I didn't love it.   And, I think I didn't love it because I didn't love the music.   MOULIN ROUGE is a film I LOVED because the music supported the story.   PITCH PERFECT I loved because the music supported the story.   The music in GATSBY did not support the story.  The music was so obviously changed after filming that every single moment someone was singing or dancing one could see that their mouths and bodies didn't match the sound that was audible.  It upset me because I wanted to know what amazing song was being sung by the speakeasy dancers.  I wanted to hear what the goofy people were singing while dancing like idiots.
Because you just KNOW that's a stuipd song...
And yes, I'm complaining.  Some of the tracks were alright but I really want to hear what Lurhman had already filmed, and to hear the music which matched the lips of the performers.  It really makes a difference.  Here, I'll show you.  In honor of Amitabh Bachchan who was in this film,

"Hello, yes, I am Amitabh Bachchan..."

 I have taken the trailer of GATSBY and replaced the sound with a Bollywood song, specifically AR Rhman-Kabhi Neem Neem.





And, yes, I cut that off early because it's a good song and combined with that video it's terrible.  Okay, now let's watch the same terrible video with a different song, this time "Jeepers Creepers" by the Mills Brothers.


Different, right?  Better, right?   All I'm saying is that I, who has purchased only one DVD in the past three years, would run to buy THE GREAT GATSBY DVD if it contained a directors cut with the original sound.

That said, this Gotye song for the movie is really good...




No comments:

Post a Comment