Saturday, May 08, 2010

THE BLIND SIDE (8) -- by naudy

The Top 7 Reasons Why I Didn't Want to See "The Blind Side"

7. It's a story about a sassy white lady and a black kid.
And once Hollywood gets their self-congratulatory hands on something like that they mess it up instantly, turning the white lady into an artificial saint and dismissing\condescending to the black kid. Blech! No!
6. Sandra Bullock
You seriously want me to watch a Sandra Bullock movie? On purpose? Doesn't that automatically make this movie a romantic comedy? Yes? Well, then, No, Thank you.
5. Bland-looking
Boring! Three small jokes and Sandra Bullock slaps the football coach on the bum? Nope! Not gonna see it!
4. Disney
Cause Hanna Montana - The Movie! and Escape to Witch Mountain were such cinematic masterpieces.
3. Football movie
As my friend Jed says, football movies are romantic comedies for men. Everyone knows how they end and the only point is to feel good and watch it happen. And I don't watch romantic comedies if I can help it-- even if they are about football.
2. My precious Indie Cred
I can promise you none of the cool kids are seeing The Blind Side. The plaid-shirted, tight-jeand, Converse-wearing hipster darlings who crowd Sundance are not gonna be lining up to see this one.
1. Everyone told me to go and see it.
And because I'm essentially a big six-year-old, this reason carries quite a bit of weight.

Seven Reasons Why My Top 7 Reasons To Not See "The Blind Side" Were Dumb

7. For once they did the white lady/black kid thing right
I couldn't know that in advance but since the family the movie portrayed was heavily involved I probably could have guessed
6. Sandra Bullock was great
She won an Oscar. An Oscar for a PG movie, which NEVER happens cause most Oscars are given out for people being really unpleasant/naked. But Sandra went from brunette Bostonian to bleach-blond Suzanne-Sugarbaker Southern lady so well and so naturally you couldn't tell it wasn't really her. Totally earned the statue.
5. Subtle movies don't advertise well
And subtle movies are good. They just don't have anything to flash in a 30 second clip.
4. Disney didn't intend to sell merchandise for this movie so they didn't screw it up
Disney didn't sell sneakers and/or CDs for this movie so they didn't get in there and make anyone add in a talking dragon or anything. So the Disney label here actually meant what the Disney label was meant to represent, which is a family-friendly movie that's actually GOOD.
3. It really wasn't a football movie
Since football is an omnipresent force in Southern life and Michael Oher actually ended up playing pro football, it was in the movie. BUT it wasn't the point of the movie. So there.
2. What Indie cred? I work in child care and wear shoes from K-Mart! I have no Indie cred!
I am NOT that cool.
1. Everyone told me to see it because it's GOOD.
And, seriously, it is not only harmless, it's good. I've thought about it for weeks after, it's made me see certain relationships in a different light, and rugby shirts will never be the same. I loved it and it's silly that I didn't see it before now. So go to the Redbox and get it for a whole dollar. Really. Cause you don't have a reason now to say no.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. And you're totally indie. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But is it not a romantic comedy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, The Blind Side, against all odds, is NOT a romantic comedy -- even though it has football & Sandra Bullock.

    ReplyDelete