Monday, November 06, 2006

KISS KISS, BANG BANG -- by naudy (9!)

This is the only photo I could find of chubby Val Kilmer wearing a velour track suit. I felt it was important I included a picture of Val's velour track suit because I found this particular track suit hilarious. Honestly, is there anything funnier than a paunchy cynical gay detective in a velour track suit? Because I can't think of anything.

I loved this movie. I laughed all the way through it. It's definately not for anyone who's allergic to the F-word, Robert Downey, Jr., or nudity. However, I'm theoretically allergic to all of these things and I laughed myself silly.

I think I loved the movie so much because I also happen to love pulp fiction. No, not the movie, the actual books. I'm a proud member of the Hard Case Crime Book Club, and I get my two paperback books sent to me once a month. I love 'em and I don't know why. I have theories, though. I might love them because they're mysteries without being another English country weekend murder story. I might love them because I love Humphrey Bogart and Sam Spade and film noir. I might love them because stuff happens and it's not all about feelings and making jam with your grandma. I might love them because I like how quickly I can read them. But, I think I really love them because they're a total and complete escape into a world I will never (hopefully) inhabit. It's a world where I don't have to be paranoid I'll hurt someone's feelings, a place where brutal actions follow quick decisions, where change is quick and twisty and often very very bad. I like this universe. It's someplace I never get to go, what with me being a girl and everything. If I decided to stand flat footed and punch someone in the face, no one would be on my side. But, in pulp-fiction land, everyone is cheering for me.

KISS KISS, BANG BANG is pulp fiction at it's best. It's clever, hysterical, engaging, and I really regret not seeing this film in the theater. If it had made more than $1.50 during it's theaterical release I might have gotten the sequel I now want to see. I loved this film and I'm sorry that Harry and Gay Perry will never again be on the big screen, track suit and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment